'Presented by creative producers Wild in Art, working in partnership with St Oswald's Children’s Hospice, Great North Snowdogs will bring together businesses, artists, schools and community groups to create a public art trail of beautiful Snowdog sculptures, based on the story The Snowman and The Snowdog, by Raymond Briggs.
For ten weeks during Autumn and Winter 2016, the North East’s streets, parks and open spaces will become home to a series of individually designed Snowdog sculptures, painted by both well-known and undiscovered artists.
This will result in a sculpture trail, sponsored by businesses and individuals, showcasing the rich cultural offer and wealth of artistic talent in the area. Local people can become ‘tourists in their own city’ with a trail map and dedicated app will lead them from popular tourist destinations to lesser known areas of the region.
Once the trail ends, the sculptures will be auctioned at a glittering event in December 2016, to raise funds for St Oswald’s Children’s Hospice. A separate trail of smaller Snowdogs, created by local school children and community groups will also be exhibited, celebrating the talent of the young people of the North East.' *
Things You Need To Know
- First of all they are sooooo cute!
- There are 61 Big Dogs and 91 small dogs
- You can download an app for android or iphone here and track the snow dogs, some of them have special offers for you when you find them
- Real 'get in the map' paper maps are avaiable from many locations for a small fee (click here for a list)
- There will be Snow Dog themed events across the region stay in touch with Snow Dogs for more information by following them on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram
- All of the large dogs will be auctioned, with an expected minimum price of £4000 and the money raised will go straight to St Oswalds Hospice to privde hospice care for adults young people and children with life limiting conditions.
- Tyne and Wear Metro, one of the Snow Dog, sponsors have journey planners available online to help you find your chosen dogs.
- The trail runs until November for the big dogs and until January for the Litlles
- MOST IMPORTANTLY PLEASE BE KIND, some awful people have already caused terrible damage to the dogs, so please please 'Pat Don't Sit' and don't let your kids climb on the dogs, they need love and kindness.
We were lucky enough to be invited along to the official Snow Dog launch in Sunderland Last night and had a great time seeing some doggies and some really lovely people, the kids loved talking to the awesome Leighton Denny (of course I wasn't awestruck) who told us about his creation 'Rhino The Resue Dog' He showed the kids video on his mobile of his real life Rhino the Dog lapping up some sun in his shades whilst enjoying being chauffered around! Rhino was a rescue dog who Leighton says rescued him more than he rescued Rhino
We also managed a snap with Sunderland AFC ladies football team, who were all just lovely
We are also running a photo competition on our facebook page, simply comment on our pinned post with pictures of your Snow Dog finds and we will choose a winner at the end of November