Ever since I saw Paul Hollywood (swoon) on TV throw together pitta breads as easy as you would a salad I have been looking for the perfect fool proof recipe. I have tried many and just couldnt get them quite right. I really wanted to find one that was easy quick and works every time.
Such a thing has not yet made itself available on my search, so I have tinkered around and made up my own recipe....
3 cups of Plain Flour
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon fast acting Yeast
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- Put the yeast and water in a bowl
- Add salt and oil
- Gradually mix in flour until it begins to form a dough, sticky but firm
- Knead gently for about 5-7 minutes
- Form into evenly sized balls (about 6)
- Cover and leave for a further 30 minutes
- Pre heat the oven to about 220 and pop your oven trays in
- Carefully place the pitta's on the hot trays ensuring you flip them so the flatter side (the one that was on the underneath) is now facing up this will make for less chance of 'pitta popping'
- Put them in the oven for about 8 minutes until golden brown and hopefully they should have puffed up to form the perfect pocket